Sunday, November 18, 2007

Want smoother indoor training? Get fixed.

We've got a shorter cycling season so indoor bike trainers are the way it works up here. Unfortunately most riders look forward to a session on the trainer with about as much enthusiasm as a follow up appointment with the tax accountant. Tunes, TV, and books fight the boredom but the machine plays a part too. Some indoor trainers do a good job simulating the feel of the road but others are not much more than wheel draggin' sweat machines and that feeling of constantly pushing a wheel that doesn't want to spin adds to the misery. Usually more money buys bigger flywheels, better parts, and a more realistic cycling experience but I recently discovered an exception and it's a little bit fun. Yes, "fun" and "indoor training" can go together.

If you've got a fixie hangin' up in the garage, don't just leave it there. Put it on the trainer and you might be surprised how smooth it feels. Fixies round out the pedal stroke and add flywheel-like inertia contributing to a good road feel.

I've got a Cycleops Magneto I use it because it's bullet-proof, and has progressive resistance. The road feel is better than most mag-trainers but not as good as fluid trainers I've tried. However when I put Silverfish, the parts-bin-Fixie, on the pegs, that trainer felt like a much better machine than it had a right to. It wasn't as smooth as a Computrainer but dang close or better than a fluid. Did I mention how easy it was to trackstand on the Cycleops trainer?

On rollers, my preferred indoor training tool, there was less of a difference however I did find handling was easier. Starts, stops, one-handed, and no-handed riding were easier on Silverfish, than on my Tri bike, Cat-Dog. Of course these things are easier to pull off on a Fixie on the road too. The added skills and balance will help when I put the bike back on the road in the spring.

Looks like Silverfish will be getting more miles this winter.

No comments: