Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Enlightenment; now available at a store near you.


Some of you already know I've got a thing for green tea that I sometimes take a little far. Nothing breaks up a loooooong stale workout like a good long-brewed cuppa'. It breaks up that over-sweet Hammergel combined with dried cookie taste with something real and kicks in a nice little boost. During a long workout you'll often find a commuter mug stashed with my regular drink bottles.

It would be easy enough to simply grab an off-the-shelf prepackaged bottle but there is one big problem; none of them taste right. They have some of the grab and a little of the taste but often they are over-sweetened or combined with other flavors. It's a little like trying to satisfy a hankerin' for a juicy grilled steak with something you'd get from a drive-up window.

But I finally found it. I picked up a bottle of Ito En brand I found at New Sagaya Midtown way in the back of the fridge section. It was real. It had respectable snap, nose, and color as green tea I might buy from a specialty store. And just yesterday, I found it again at Carrs South Anchorage in the Natural Foods section. Finally, green tea in a bottle that doesn't taste like Aunt Jemima Pancake Syrup.

Ito En has a good thing starting in the US. And If I get to NY soon I'll try to get into one of their upscale restaurants.

No comments: